How much auto insurance do I need?

The appropriate amount of car insurance needed depends on many factors, including your state of residence, the value of your vehicle, and how much insurance you can afford. When shopping for car insurance, you’ll want to purchase as much liability coverage as you can comfortably afford, which will likely be substantially greater than the minimum requirements in Kansas. Liability for auto insurance consists of two main parts: bodily and property.

Bodily injury covers medical bills and other costs associated with injuring another person, while the property is for damage to third-party property such as a home, vehicle, or shed. If you are at fault in an accident, your insurance company will cover expenses for third parties up to your policy limits; thus, the more insurance you can purchase, the more likely you won’t have to pay anything out of pocket. 

In addition to liability insurance, you’ll also have the option to purchase comprehensive and collision coverage. Comprehensive insurance pays for damage to your vehicle that isn’t caused by an accident and could include theft, vandalism, fire, and hail damage. Conversely, collision coverage pays for damage to your vehicle caused by an accident. If you purchased your car with a loan, your lender would likely require that you carry collision coverage. You’ll have the option to purchase different deductible amounts, likely ranging from $200 to $1000. A deductible is what you are first required to pay towards the cost of repairs before your insurance company agrees to payout. 

If you are shopping for auto insurance in Overland Park, KS, let the friendly and professional team at Fortress Insurance Agency assist. We can answer all your questions and customize a policy that meets or exceeds your needs. 

Your Guide to Auto Insurance

At Fortress Insurance Agency, we have helped many Overland Park, KS area residents understand their auto insurance policy. If you’re new to car ownership, it is essential to read this information to understand better your level of coverage and what kind of policies you may need.

Basic Insurance Coverage 

When buying auto insurance, you pay a premium every month that helps create a specific coverage level. And your limitations or deductibles indicate how much you have to pay before your policy goes into effect. Your primary coverage option includes:

  • Liability coverage for bodily injury or property damage 
  • Supplementary payments related to your accident’s legal state 
  • Expenses to repair your vehicle 
  • Comprehensive coverage that pays beyond collision situations 

However, your policy may also include many other additional coverage types that you can tweak to get the help that you need. Understanding your options here will help to ensure that you choose the best coverage option for your needs as a person. 

Additional Options 

Adding extra policy coverage to your insurance helps to protect you against common problems that may otherwise affect you. Just a few additional options that you can add to your policy include:

  • Medical payment coverage for you and your family 
  • Uninsured policies to protect from other drivers 
  • Underinsured coverage to protect against other drivers 
  • Operational losses if your policy is for a business vehicle 

Often, these extra coverage options must be added to your policy. Your premiums and deductibles may go up or down, depending on your insurance company. Make sure you balance your needs in a way that makes sense for you. 

Get the Coverage You Deserve 

If you need a high-quality auto insurance policy, please contact Fortress Insurance Agency to learn more. We serve the Overland Park, KS area and will do what we can to help you here.

What auto insurance are you required to carry in Kansas

Before you hit the road in Kansas, it is important you know exactly what auto insurance you are required to carry. Every state has different requirements when it comes to the type and amount of insurance you must have. Ignorance of the law won’t protect you if you are stopped and don’t have the necessary converge. You can count on your local independent insurance agent to make sure you have the insurance mandated by the state of Kansas. In Overland Park, KS, that is Fortress Insurance Agency. We have years of experience meeting the varied needs of our customers. 

Kansas is a no-fault state, and that changes the requirements for auto insurance. In addition to liability coverage, you must have personal injury protection and uninsured/underinsured coverage. This may cost a little more, but it is valuable protection, so worth the cost. The liability requirement is 25/50/25, which means $25,000 for injuries to one person in a crash, with a total of $50,000 for all injuries in the crash. The second $25,000 is for damage done to the property, including the other vehicle. The PIP coverage includes required coverage for various expenses, including disability, medical, and burial expenses, which your insurance agent can explain. The uninsured/underinsured coverage matches the liability coverage. 

After you have the insurance required by the state of Kansas mandated auto insurance, if you have an auto loan, you will need to meet the lender’s requirement, which means purchasing collision and comprehensive coverage to protect the car they own a portion of. Once you have the title to the vehicle, you may choose to dispense with this additional coverage. However, that is not always the best choice, especially if the vehicle’s cash value is more than $3,000. Paying for any repairs or replacement of your vehicle may be a financial hardship. 

Contact Fortress Insurance Agency in Overland Park, KS for your auto insurance needs.