What Types of Boats Have to Be Covered By Boat Insurance?

Boat ownership brings excitement and adventure but comes with responsibilities, including protecting your investment with the right insurance coverage. At Fortress Insurance Agency, serving the greater Overland Park, KS area, we’re here to help you understand which types of boats require insurance coverage.

Motorized Boats

Motorized boats, including powerboats, motor yachts, and personal watercraft such as jet skis and wave runners, are typically required to be covered by boat insurance. Whether cruising on a lake, river, or ocean, insurance helps protect you, your passengers, and your vessel from unexpected accidents, damage, or liability claims.


Sailboats, whether small recreational vessels or larger sailing yachts, should also be covered by boat insurance. Even if a motor does not power your sailboat, it’s still susceptible to risks such as collisions, storms, theft, and liability claims. Sailboat insurance provides financial protection and peace of mind while you navigate the open waters.

Fishing Boats

Fishing boats, including bass boats, center consoles, and offshore fishing vessels, should be insured to safeguard against potential risks on the water. Whether you’re casting lines in freshwater lakes or deep-sea fishing in the ocean, fishing boat insurance offers coverage for property damage, equipment theft, and liability concerns.

Personal Watercraft (PWC)

Personal watercraft, such as jet skis, Sea-Doos, and WaveRunners, are popular recreational vehicles that require specialized insurance coverage. PWC insurance protects you and your watercraft from accidents, injuries, and property damage while you enjoy thrilling rides on the water.

At Fortress Insurance Agency, we understand the unique insurance needs of boat owners in the greater Overland Park, KS area. Our experienced agents will work closely with you to assess your boating activities and coverage requirements. Call us to get started.